This is a simple winter salad I make if Im craving something fresh and crisp when salad greens are not readily available.
The ingredient of Winter salad
- 1200g (orange, purple and white - see note) baby carrots, peeled, trimmed, very thinly sliced (a mandoline is ideal)
- 1 firmly packed cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (75g) toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
The instruction how to make Winter salad
- For the dressing, combine garlic, cumin seeds, lime juice, olive oil and 2 teaspoons sea salt in a mortar and pestle and pound until a coarse paste. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Cut carrot slices into thin matchsticks, then place in a bowl with the parsley and chopped hazelnuts. Pour dressing over the salad, then toss everything together with your hands until combined.
- Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with cayenne, if using, and serve.
Nutritions of Winter saladcalories: 313.09 calories
calories: 21 grams fat
calories: 17 grams carbohydrates
calories: 6 grams protein
calories: 130.97 milligrams sodium