Enjoy the succulent flavours of baked chicken with a fragrant walnut and basil stuffing. Serving this dish with a cannelini bean mash increases the fibre and protein value of this meal.
The ingredient of Chicken with tomato, walnut and basil pesto
- 1 1/2 tablespoons walnut kernels, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 110g (1/2 cup) semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 (150g each) chicken breast fillets
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Broccolini, steamed, to serve
- Green beans, steamed, to serve
- Baby basil, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken with tomato, walnut and basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Process walnut, basil and lemon rind in a small food processor until finely chopped. Add tomato and water. Process until thick and spreadable.
- Cut a horizontal slit in thickest part of each chicken breast to create a pocket, taking care not to cut all the way through. Fill pockets with pesto mixture. Use toothpicks to secure.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Spray with oil. Cook chicken for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a baking tray. Bake for 12 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the beans and stock. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add juice. Coarsely mash. Season.
- Remove toothpicks. Slice chicken. Serve with mash, greens, basil and lemon.
Nutritions of Chicken with tomato, walnut and basil pestocalories: 364.953 calories
calories: 6 grams fat
calories: 1 grams saturated fat
calories: 21 grams carbohydrates
calories: 49 grams protein