Our hearty, budget-friendly bake has layers of chicken, bacon, mushrooms and spinach. Make it on the weekend, then freeze it for a no-fuss meal when you really need it.
The ingredient of Chicken and spinach potato bake
- 1kg medium Desiree potatoes (see note)
- 500g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, halved crossways
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 short-cut bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large Roast Chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded
- 100g baby spinach leaves, cooked, excess water removed, finely chopped
- 60g butter
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- 60g (3/4 cup) finely grated parmesan
- Melted butter, to grease
- Steamed broccolini, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken and spinach potato bake
- Bring potatoes and sweet potato to boil in a saucepan of water over medium-high heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Set aside to cool. Peel potatoes. Thinly slice potato and sweet potato.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon and onion for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Transfer to a bowl. Heat remaining oil in pan. Cook garlic and mushroom for 3-5 minutes or until mushroom is tender. Add to the bowl. Stir in the chicken and spinach.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in two-thirds of the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Add to bacon mixture, reserving 250ml (1 cup) sauce.
- Brush a 3L (12-cup) capacity baking dish with melted butter. Place one-third of the potato, slightly overlapping, over the base. Top with half the sweet potato and half the chicken mixture. Continue layering with remaining potato, sweet potato and chicken mixture, finishing with potato. Top with reserved sauce. (To freeze, see note).
- Preheat oven to 200u00baC. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden. Serve with broccolini.
Nutritions of Chicken and spinach potato bakecalories: 532.014 calories
calories: 28 grams fat
calories: 14 grams saturated fat
calories: 44 grams carbohydrates
calories: 16 grams sugar
calories: 24 grams protein
calories: 76 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 625.09 milligrams sodium