These easy fish and potato cakes are served on toast with creme fraiche to create a classic smorrebrod open sandwich.
The ingredient of Smorrebrod with salmon cakes
- 180g (2/3 cup) cru00e8me frau00eeche, plus extra, to serve
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 550g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 420g salmon fillets, skin removed
- 20g butter
- 1 leek, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour, plus extra, to dust
- 180g (2 cups) dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- Extra virgin olive oil, to shallow-fry
- 4 thick slices sourdough rye bread, toasted or chargrilled
- Snow pea shoots, trimmed, to serve
The instruction how to make Smorrebrod with salmon cakes
- Combine the cru00e8me frau00eeche, mint, 1 tsp mustard and 1 tsp lemon rind in a bowl. Season. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until required.
- Cook potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash until smooth. Season and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the salmon in a large, deep frying pan. Cover with cold water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and remove from the heat. Set aside for 10 minutes to poach. Remove fish from pan. Allow to cool slightly. Flake the flesh.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Place flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Set aside. Combine potato, salmon, egg yolk, half the leek and remaining 2 tsp mustard and 1 tsp rind in a bowl. Season. Use hands dusted with flour to shape into 12 patties. Carefully dip patties in flour to coat. Dip in egg and then breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to coat.
- Pour enough oil into a frying pan to come 1cm up the side. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the cakes, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Serve on toast with remaining leek, cru00e8me frau00eeche sauce and snow pea shoots.
Nutritions of Smorrebrod with salmon cakescalories: 974.403 calories
calories: 53 grams fat
calories: 19 grams saturated fat
calories: 78 grams carbohydrates
calories: 43 grams protein