Matt Preston re-invents French pastry chef, Gontran Cherriers jet black buns in this strikingly different recipe. He give the buns an Aussie twist by filling it with trout, cream cheese and fresh cos lettuce.
The ingredient of Black buns with smoked trout
- 2 x 7g sachets (1 tablespoon) dried instant yeast
- 1kg bread flour, sifted
- 150g squid ink (available from fishmongers and gourmet shops)
- Olive oil, to grease
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 250g softened cream cheese
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated
- 300g smoked ocean trout
- 1 red onion, halved, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons small capers, rinsed, drained
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
The instruction how to make Black buns with smoked trout
- Combine yeast with 1 cup (250ml) warm water in a bowl. Stir to combine, then set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy. Place the flour and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Combine squid ink with 2 cups (500ml) water. With the motor running on low speed, gradually add the squid ink mixture, along with the yeast mixture. Knead for 5 minutes or until well combined (note that it will be a very wet dough). Transfer dough to a large oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then chill overnight or until tripled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Using a 1/2 cup (125ml) measuring cup, divide the dough into 12 portions.
- Oil your hands slightly and shape dough into smooth balls. Place, 4cm apart, on the baking trays and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust looks matt black and set, and the inside sounds hollow when tapped.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Add the cucumber and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Split the rolls horizontally (donu2019t cut all the way through). Spread the cream cheese over base of each roll, top with a lettuce leaf, drained cucumber, then the trout, onion and capers. Spread more cream cheese on the top lid. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Black buns with smoked troutcalories: