Normally served as starters, spicy fried calamari combined with a green salad makes a delicious light meal.
The ingredient of Spiced coconut calamari with zesty green salad
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (see note)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- Peanut oil, for shallow-frying
- 600g cleaned calamari hoods, cut into 5mm wide rings (see note)
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 2 cups beansprouts
- 100g snow peas, shredded
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 cup mint leaves, torn
- 3/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
The instruction how to make Spiced coconut calamari with zesty green salad
- Place Sichuan peppercorns in a mortar and pestle. Pound until finely crushed. Add salt. Pound until well combined. Place mixture in a large bowl. Stir in coconut and cornflour.
- Pour peanut oil into a large, deep frying pan to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat over high heat. Toss calamari in coconut mixture to coat. Cook calamari, in 3 batches, for 2 to 3 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel.
- Make Zesty green salad: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss well. Serve salad topped with calamari and lime wedges.
Nutritions of Spiced coconut calamari with zesty green saladcalories: 363.28 calories
calories: 20.5 grams fat
calories: 10.4 grams saturated fat
calories: 11.8 grams carbohydrates
calories: 29.4 grams protein
calories: 298 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1651 milligrams sodium